Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Soldier- Rhonda Nelson

Rhonda Nelson's "The Soldier" is one of the books in the Blaze continuity Uniformly Hot, about military heroes. It is a follow-up to one of the previous books in the continuity, Letters from Home, also written by Nelson. "The Soldier" focuses on Levi Macpherson's brother Adam, who was wounded in Iraq.

When the book begins, Adam is depressed and hardly getting out of bed. Then Winnie Cuthbert, who has been in love with Adam for ten years, walks into his bedroom and makes him get up and focus on being able to return to his job in Iraq.

One of the things I really love about this book is that as a heroine, Winnie feels very real. I empathize with her inner struggle--loving and wanting Adam so much for so long, but not having the courage to go after him. I really rooted for her when she decided not to squander an opportunity that presented itself. Because I am in a similar situation myself, I envied Winnie's courage.

One of the things I didn't like about this book is the emphasis on babies. Winnie and Adam both picture babies with each other's features, and for me, it takes away from the romance and the struggle of wanting someone you think you can't have. I understand that the author wanted to show that Adam truly could still have it all, even after his injury, but for me, these thoughts and the epilogue felt a bit much.

All in all, though, I found this a very good, solid read. I give it a B and look forward to reading more of Ms. Nelson's work, particularly if she keeps writing about sexy military men.

No comments:

Post a Comment