Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Payday Loot!

Today was payday, so of course, I went to the bookstore. Here's what I got:

1. Girls That Growl- Mari Mancusi

Back Cover:
I'm a vampire. I'm also a vampire slayer. (It's a long story--don't ask.) And now I, Rayne McDonald, Goth girl, have to try out for THE CHEERLEADING SQUAD?

You'd think after I saved my coven last summer, I'd get a break or something. I've got enough on my plate: my twin keeps whining about whether or not to go all the way; Mom's boyfriend is moving in; and my man, Jareth, who's now allowed out in the sun, has turned from a dark, brooding hottie vamp into a surfer dude...

But I'm still on the clock and have a new assignment. A member of the football team has disappeared--and my bosses at Slayer Inc. think the cheerleaders had something to do with it, because they're actually werewolves! I always knew they were a pack of bitc...

Now they want me to infitrate the squad and get the dirt.. But first, I'll need an extreme prep makeover. If only they'd let me wear fishnets under this revolting uniform...

2. Before I Die- Jenny Downham

Back Cover:
How long can I stave it off? I don't know. All I know is that i have two choices--stay wrapped in blankets and get on with dying, or get the list back together and get on with living.

Everyone has to die. We all know it.

With only a few months of life left, sixteen-year-old Tessa knows it better than most.

She's made a list, though--ten things she wants to do before she dies. Number one is sex. Starting tonight.

But getting what you want isn't easy. And getting what you want doesn't always give you what you need. And sometimes the most unexpected things become important.

Uplifitng, life-affirming, joyous--this extraordinary novel celebrates what it is to be alive by confronting what it's really like to die.

3. Oh. My. Gods.- Tera Lynn Childs

Back Cover:
Phoebe's life is about to get ungodly...

All Phoebe Castro has to do is keep her grades up and have another stellar cross-country season and her dreams of attending USC with her friends on a track scholarship is a reality. So ti's a complete shock when her mom annouces that she's marrying a near-stranger and moving them to Greece.

Before Phoebe knows it, she's stuck on a secret island in the Aegean and attending the superexclusive Academy, where her new stepfather is the headmaster and the kids are anything but your average students--thjey're descendants of the Greek gods, superpowers included. If regular high school wasn't bad enough, this is mortal misery.

Phoebe's only chance of reclaiming her old life lies in securing that scholarship. But managing that may be an ungodly challenge, considering she's got a sabotaging stepsister from Hades and a gorgeous guy--what a god!--in her way...

4. Little Miss Red- Robin Palmer

Back Cover:
Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?

When Sophie Greene goes to spend Spring Break at her grandmother's house in Florida, she never dreams she'll end up catching the eye of the hottest guy she's ever seen. As much as Sophie craves excitement, she's a seat belt-wearing, three-square-meals-a-day, good girl at heart... She doesn't even have the guts to wear Dark as Midnight nail polish. But Sophie dreams of beign the girl who isn't afraid to live on the edge. So when a motorcycle-riding hottie calls her "Red" and flashes her a wolfish grin that practically screams Danger, what else is a nice girl to do but jump at the chance to walk on the wild side?

5. Story of a Girl- Sara Zarr

Back Cover:
I was thirteen when my dad caught me with Tommy Webber in the back of Tommy's Buick, parked next to the old Char House down in Montara at eleven o'clock on a Tuesday nigth. Tommy was seventeen and the supposed friend of hte brother, Darren.

I didn't love him.

I'm not sure I even liked him.

In a moment, Deanna Lambert's teenage life is changed forever. Struggling to overcome the lasting repercussions and the stifiling role of "school slut", Deanna longs to escape a life defined by her past. With subtle grace, complicated wisdom, and striking emotion, Story of a Girl reminds us of our human capacity for resilience, epiphany, and redemption.

6. Project 17- Laurie Faria Stolarz

Back Cover:
High atop Hathorne Hill, near Boston, sits Danvers State Hospital. Built in 1878 and closed in 1992, this abandoned mental institution is rumored to be the birthplace of the lobotomy.

On the eve of the hospital's demolition, six teens break in to spend the night and fil ma movie about their experiences. For Derik, it's an opportunity to win a filmmaking contest and save himself from a future of flipping burgers at his parents' diner. For the others, it's a chance to be on TB, or for a night with no parents. But what starts as a dare quickly escalates into a nightmare. Behind the crumbling walls, down every dark passageway, and in each deserted room they will unravel the mysteries of those who once lived there and the spirits who still might.

Yeah, I'm super excited! These all sound amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment