Monday, March 15, 2010

Weekly(ish) Recap (4)

So, with Spring Break last week, I forgot to do a recap, and I'm reading too much to do full reviews of everything. I thought my book binge would slow down once Justin came home from training but it seems to have gotten even more intense because books are helping me not freak out so much over the thought that in 3 weeks (!!!!), one of my dearest friends will be in Afghanistan, and also my growing concern that the next time I see him might be the last time, ever. Since I'm reading so fast, it's hard to do real reviews.

Anyway, here's what I've read since the last time, as well as mini-reviews about the books that I haven't reviewed yet.


  • Her Patchwork Family- Lyn Cote
    Reviewed.
  • Animal Instincts- Gena Showalter
    Reviewed.
  • What My Mother Doesn't Know- Sonya Sones
    Quick novel in verse about Sophie, a slightly boy-crazy but likable girl and the boy she unexpectedly falls for. The poetry made it a real page turner. I read it in about an hour.
  • Bookmarked for Death- Lorna Barrett
    Second book in the Booktown Mystery series. Tricia still has the pesky problem of discovering dead bodies. An enjoyable bookish mystery.
  • The Boy in the Striped Pajamas- John Boyne
    This is a simple book about a dad, 2 boys, and a fence. Bruno's childish naivety lessened the impact of how tragic this story really is, but it's really the only way to tell this story. No nine year old kid is going to suspect his father of such terrible things.
  • Something, Maybe- Elizabeth Scott
    Elizabeth Scott has delivered a cute little love story. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy to see the connection between the two main characters develop.
  • What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know- Sonya Sones
    The companion to What My Mother Doesn't Know. Robin narrates. Another page turner.
  • Kissing Annabel-Steve Herrick
    I was really feeling the novels in verse this week. This one's about a high school couple first falling in love and then leaving home after they're done with school. Not very memorable, but an enjoyable way to occupy an hour or two.
  • I Can't Tell You- Hillary Frank
    In this one, the main character decides not to talk anymore. He feels like writing is safer after he's ruined his relationship with one of his best friends. I was rooting for a love story about the main character and Xandra, but no such luck. Batman makes an appearance though. Ha. Had a really great line about trust: "Trust is telling someone what keeps you up at night. Or trying to. Or at least, wanting to." Something like that, anyway. I'm paraphrasing because I don't have the book in front of me at the moment and don't feel like going to get it. Anyway, I really love that definition of trust. It helps me when I worry that I don't trust Justin enough because I worry about making the words come out right. And my worry about making the words come out right really gives me a lot in common with the narrator because I, too, find it easier to write than to talk. (For example, it's much easier to trust Justin with my secrets when I can write them down, seal them up in an envelope and not have to worry about his reaction for awhile...if all of a sudden, he gets judgmental, well... what's the worst thing he can do? Stop writing me? )
  • The Fat Girl- Marilyn Sachs
    This book was good, but the narrator (who was so not the protagonist) was such a jerk! He was manipulative and insincere about his feelings for Ellen, unless, of course, he'd fooled himself into thinking he was in love with her.
  • Eighth Grade Bites- Heather Brewer
    Vlad is a unique vampire. For one thing, he's half human. For another, he might be the only vampire left. And for him, eighth grade really bites when his substitute teacher gives him the worst assignment ever; for their unit on mythological creatures, Vlad must take on the persona of a vampire and confess to his English class about his nature. This book was a nice change from the moody Edward Cullen types. I liked having a vampire protagonist who didn't think he was damned, who saw himself as a normal kid with a different diet.
  • Crank- Ellen Hopkins
    Another novel in verse. This one is about a girl named Kristina, who calls herself Bree. During a summer vacation, Bree falls in love--with Adam, and the monster, meth. Her relationship with Adam doesn't last long but Bree keeps flirting with the monster long after she returns to her mom's house. My favorite poem was around page 70-something, when Bree is first getting involved with Adam and admits that she was afraid to let him kiss her. Yeah, I could relate.
  • Princess Mia- Meg Cabot
    After her breakup with Michael, Mia gets deeply depressed, has to go to therapy, and finds the diary of one of her long-dead ancestors. Entertaining, but not very deep.
  • The First Part Last- Angela Johnson
    I read this one at the bookstore in a little over an hour. The ending leaves the reader with hope for Bobby's future.
  • Street Love- Walter Dean Myers
    Basically this book is Walter Dean Myers' version of Romeo and Juliet, in verse. It was nice to get such a clear portrait of falling in love from a guy's perspective. It was so sweet.
  • TTYL- Lauren Myracle
    And finally, this book is amusing and fun, a nice light chick lit read.
Currently Reading:
Milkweed-Jerry Spinelli
The Blacker the Berry- Wallace Thurman (School)

No comments:

Post a Comment